Operation Mercy is governed by a board of directors.
As of 21 May 2019 the board included:
- Wim Goudzwaard (Netherlands) Chairman
- Fredrik Karlsson (Sweden) Member
- Peter Lindvall (Sweden) Member
- Jensie Hall (Sweden) Member
- Johan Sonderqvist (Sweden) Member
- Martin Strom (Sweden) Member
- Bertil Engqvist (Sweden) Member
- Grant Michaels (Sweden) Alternative
- Bill Drake (USA) Alternative
- ex officio: Dr. Scott Breslin (Sweden) International Director
Operation Mercy is a global community of project managers, administrators, accountants, engineers, health professionals, therapists, community workers, teachers, and other occupations. Our international staff of approximately 300 come from over 30 different nations, speak more than sixty languages and represent different faiths. Some are volunteers, some salaried, some long-term, some short-term, men and women, young and old. Our diversity is our strength.
In spite of being different from each other we are united by common purpose and values. Perhaps the prayer of St. Francis of Assisi (1182 -1226) and the verse from the Persian poet Sa’di (1213 - 1291) best summarize our shared aspirations as a community of humanitarian professionals:
“Lord, make us an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let us sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.
Where there is sadness, joy.
Lord, grant that we may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.”
“Human beings are members of a whole,
In creation one essence and one soul.
When one member is afflicted with pain,
Other members will not at rest remain.”